Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Have your taxes done free this Saturday

The IRS is calling this Saturday, March 21st, Super Saturday. On this day IRS volunteers under the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program will offer free tax preparation and filing services. To qualify you must have an income of $42,000 or less. Free tax prep services are also available to the elderly and military.

Even if you don't qualify for the free preparation you can ask a trained volunteer questions regarding special credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly.

The IRS also recognizes that many people may have a difficult time paying the amount owed this year. If you fall into this group, you'll want to visit a Super Saturday sight as well. Volunteers will help you set up payment option plans that will prevent even greater penalties and interest.

The IRS will open more than 250 local offices from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Community partners will open approximately 1,000 sites on March 21. Tax return preparation is limited to people who earn $42,000 or less. There is no income limitation for people needing IRS assistance for other services at Taxpayer Assistance Centers. To find a Colorado center click here. For those who don’t want to make a trip, the IRS also offers other free services for tax preparation including the Free File program on IRS.gov.

If you go don't forget to bring the following:

  • Valid driver’s license or photo identification (self & spouse, if applicable)

  • Social Security cards for all persons listed on the return

  • Dates of birth for all persons listed on the return

  • All income statements: Forms W-2, 1099, Social Security, Unemployment, or other benefits statements, self-employment records and any documents showing taxes withheld

  • Dependent child care information: payee’s name, address and Social Security Number or, Taxpayer Identification Number

  • Proof of account at financial institution for direct debit or deposit (i.e. cancelled/voided check or bank statement)

  • Prior year tax return (if available)

  • Any other pertinent documents or papers

No comments:

Post a Comment