Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How to keep your head after a car accident

If you've ever been in a car accident you know it's quite an emotional event. Last week a friend of mine was in a minor accident.

"I couldn't think clearly. I was shaking and I felt like tears were going to start flowing. I wasn't hurt and the damage wasn't bad. I don't know why I started to feel this way." That's my friend describing the event.

I completely understand. Car accidents jolt us out of our expected experience into a place we never planned to be. This sudden change can make some people bewildered and others angry. It's a surreal experience. That makes it easy to miss details of the event or to forget what you should do.

With my friend in mind (and memories of my own experiences) I created this checklist for you to download and keep in your glove box--just in case. I hope that you never have to use it, but if you do, it may help you gather all the information you need--no matter what your state of mind at the time of the accident.

You can click on these .jpeg images to enlarge them. Then print them and keep it in your glove box.

Of course you can also what my friend did to remain calm. "I thought of joy. I reminded myself that although I was in a state of displeasure somewhere in the world others were experiencing joy. That helped me to smile and calm down."

No comments:

Post a Comment