Tuesday, September 15, 2009

How to Opt Out of Phone Books

I came home last Friday to find an unwanted visitor at my front door. I chose not to acknowledge the visitor and left it at the doorstep. Later, I went out of the house and again ignored the visitor. My husband came home and walked right passed the visitor. He later went out without notice to the visitor. My son came home and stepped right passed the visitor. My youngest came in and gleefully picked it up and set it on the kitchen table with pride. Who or what was this unwanted arrival? The phone book, of course.

I guess once upon a time ago the phone book was a welcomed arrival. Today it's a waste of paper, energy and space in my house. Is there a way to put a stop to this madness?? Maybe.

Earlier this month Idearc Media LLC (Pink Sheets:IDARQ), creator Superpages.com, the Verizon Yellow Pages and SuperpagesDirect announced that Opt-Out language indicating a web address and phone number would appear on the cover of all of their publications. Well, maybe they haven't gotten around to clarifying that text in time for September distributions. I looked at my Verizon Super Yellowpages and found this phrase: Order any directory anytime by calling 1-800-888-8448. I couldn't find any specific directions for opt-out, so I called the number.

Once you dial the number choose selection #2-Question regarding the delivery of your directory.
After holding for several minutes I finally was helped. The customer service rep kindly administered my request with basic information. Of course she did her job by trying to explain the benefits of the book and suggesting other products, but was not pushy.

Another opt-out list has been created by a grassroots organization called YellowPagesGoesGreen.org.
...an organization working to educate consumers and promote the green movement to eliminate the unsolicited delivery of Yellow and White Pages books. This site is aimed at starting a national movement to solicit the White/Yellow Pages industry to proactively stop the delivery of books or to begin moving legislation to mandate the stoppage of this activity.

There is no real guarantee that these efforts will eliminate unwanted phone books. More curbside recycling services are accepting phone books. You can also check for recycling options at called www.earth911.org/. In the meantime my daughter has found use for our old phone books to add texture to her artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment